Your site depends on power to keep your tools and equipment running at all times. Aim Hire together with their sub-contractors have the expertise to install safely overhead, underground, single or three-phase power poles.
Aim Hire (or their subcontractor) will safely install a 40 amp single phase domestic power pole (suitable for 1 house); an 80 amp single phase commercial power pole (suitable for 2 or more dwellings) or a 3 Phase Builders Temporary Supply (BTS) pole (suitable for commercial buildings) to your site for overhead connection or for underground connection to a pit (if already installed). All of our installations are inspected and tested by an independent Electrical Inspector and supplied with a Certificate of Electrical Safety (CES). We will supply the CES together with an Electrical Works Request (EWR) for you to apply to your chosen retailer for connection.
Things to Consider:
- Is there existing power on the block or has the meter been abolished. You can apply for the permanent power to be abolished through your power company and apply for coincidental connection to a builders’ power pole. Always allow up to 20 working days for connection and power should be disconnected before pick-up or in conjunction with the installation of permanent power.
- Clear and unhindered access is required throughout the duration of the job for the network to connect, disconnect and conduct meter reads. If you are obliged to or wish to install a lock system to doors and enclosures a Victorian Power Industry (VPI) lock is required. The locks may only be operated by the customer’s key and the authorised Distributor representatives using a Master Key. The power company will charge a wasted trip to site fee if they cannot access the site when required. VPI locks can be purchased from many hardware outlets, electrical wholesalers and master locksmiths.
- Marking the preferred position of the pole on the building site with a stake or marker paint will help us avoid underground services such as water, gas and phone services. We need to dig a 900mm deep hole for a builders power pole. Any damages to underground services will not be the responsibility of Aim Hire or its subcontractors.
- Our installers require the use of a 1 tonne ute with crane to help lift a builders power pole into position. Please ensure there is adequate room on site for this.
- For underground installations we will trench up to 1 meter away from the pit – if you require the builders power pole to be further away from the pit than this, we ask the site manager to arrange trenching from the point of required installation back to the pit (site is responsible for back filling the pit).
- The Supply Authority will not connect to a temporary builder’s pole unless 2 support stays are installed. The radius of the support stays are about 2 metres from the base of the pole. The temporary builder’s pole and 2 support stays must be placed inside the work site property boundary and comply with Energy Safe Victoria’s Guidelines. DO NOT tamper with any part of a builders power pole installation once completed.
- There is a 3 metre exclusion zone around a builders power pole. If a scaffold, roofing or any part of a construction needs to be inside the ‘exclusion zone’ it is the sites responsibility to obtain a permit from the Supply Authority to occupy this area.
- The service cable from the Supply Authority street pole to the Builders Power Pole must not cross a neighbouring property.
- Wet weather can restrict access to a site and can delay installation and removal of poles.
- It is the site supervisors responsibility to advise Aim Hire when the cables are off the temporary builders pole and the meter removed from the meter box so that we can arrange to off hire and pick up the pole.
Please call us to discuss your needs.